I can only say a BIG BIG BIG thanks to the Legendary Director KV Reddy garu, The Great Producers B. Nagi Reddy and Aluri Chakrapani garu, Technicians, Actors and the Team who made this Epic called ‘Mayabazar’ which stands as the Greatest Cinema Ever in Indian Cinema History.
I went into trance during the research of this article, how can these guys pull off a film like this in 1957.. It’s almost impossible, but Mayabazar did it. Mayabazar paved the way for all the mega blockbusters in the future. Mayabazar is where Telugu Cinema peaked.
Whatever you’re doing stop that right now and read these things about Mayabazar, I will guarantee, you will be blown away
1. Mayabazar was the Costliest Movie of the Era. The film was made with an estimated budget of Rs. 2,00,000 back in 1957.
2. The first movie in India Cinema to be made in more than one language. It was made simultaneously in Telugu and Tamil. The final film length of this movie was more 5 hours and then it was cut short to 3h 12m
3. The first title of the movie was “Veera Ghatotkacha ” keeping S.V.Rangarao’s stardom in mind. But the legendary actor insisted that the title should focus on the story rather than him. And “Surekhaapaharanam” was the movie working title.
4. Even though this is a story of Pandavas and Kauravas, the Pandavas are never shown but are only heard of in the film.
5. Mayabazar was the first movie where NTR played the role of Lord Krishna. NTR was at first skeptical about playing this role, instead he insisted on playing Karna. But the director convinced him to play Krishna and the rest is history.
6. Mayabazar is a part of the tenth standard English syllabus from 2014. And Mayabazar was the first movie that used VIDEO CALLING before video calling is a thing. In a way, Mayabazar predicted the future of technology.
7. Marcus Bartley, the cinematographer for this movie had shot the evergreen song “Lahiri, lahiri lahiri lo” at Ennore lake near Madras at noon and he created the illusion of moonlight on a sunny day with tricky camera angles. In Mayabazar, the graphics were created with camera effects, not with software’s.
8. Marcus Bartley, created the miniature set of Dwaraka City, in about 50 x 60 ft. space and electrified the 300 miniature houses and no two of them looked alike. The bulbs were placed underneath the Miniature set and lightened up to give a consistent and natural lighting effect.
9. Mayabazar is the first Telugu film transformed from black and white to colour version and full scope by Goldstone Technologies. The project cost 7.5 Crores and the colored mayabazar was released in 2010 in 40 theaters and was a commercial success and celebrated a second 100 day function after half a century.
10. A poll conducted by CNN-IBN in May 2013 awarded Mayabazar “the film as the greatest Indian film of all time”.