15 First-Of-Its-Kind Achievements By Indian Women Will Give You Goosebumps
There is a meme trend in social media, that goes like this – WOMEN, HAHA… But deep down we all know – Without Women, this world and the lives of men, HAHA…
Writing down all the first-of-its-kind things done by Indian women gave me goosebumps, I wish you the same.
Some of the first-of-its-kind achievements by Indian women are listed here, take a look
1. Harita Kaur Deol – The first woman pilot to fly solo in an Avro HS-748 in the Indian Air Force
On 2 September 1994, Flt Lt Harita Kaur, at the age of 22 years, became the first Indian woman to fly a solo in an Avro HS-748 aircraft. She created history when she kissed the clouds at a massive height of 10,000 feet, which indeed was a momentous occasion for the Indian Air Force too.
2. Kalpana Chawla – 1st Indian-born woman to go into Space.
Kalpana Chawla was the first Indian woman who had the opportunity of going to space twice in her lifetime. Kalpana Chawla’s first journey into space was on Space Shuttle Columbia in 1997, wherein Chawla flew as a mission specialist and primary robotic arm operator.
3. Neerja Bhanot – First woman recipient of the Ashoka Chakra award
For her bravery, the Government of India posthumously awarded Bhanot the Ashoka Chakra Award, India’s highest gallantry award for bravery in the face of the enemy during peacetime. She is the youngest recipient to date and the first female recipient of this award.
4. Priya Jhingan – The First Lady Cadet to join the Indian Army Officer
September 21, 1992, is a milestone for women in India. On this day, Priya Jhingan was enrolled as cadet 001, the first woman to be formally inducted into the Indian army as an officer.
5. Mithali Raj – The first Indian woman cricketer and second internationally to complete 10,000 runs.
Mithali Raj has become the first Indian batter, and only the second overall, to score 10,000 runs in women’s international cricket.
6. Shila Dawre – India’s first woman Rickshaw driver.
Recorded in the Limca Book of World Records as the first woman auto-rickshaw driver in the country.
7. Sarla Thukral – The first ever Indian woman who flew an aircraft
Born on 8th august 1914, Sarla earned an aviation pilot license in 1936 and, at the age of 21 became the first Indian woman to fly an airplane solo. Sarla completed this historical feat in a Gypsy Moth, a British two-seater tourist and training aircraft.
8. Reita Faria – The first Indian to win the Miss World crown.
Reita Faria Powell (née Faria; born 23 August 1943) is an Indian physician, former model, and the winner of the Miss World 1966 pageant. Born in Bombay to Goan parents, Faria is the first Asian woman to win a beauty contest.
9. Indira Gandhi – India’s first female prime minister
She was India’s first and, to date, only female prime minister and a central figure of the Indian National Congress.
10. Saina Nehwal – First Indian woman to win the 1st Olympic medal in badminton
Saina Nehwal is the first-ever badminton player from India to clinch an Olympic medal. The Indian shuttler created history when she won the bronze medal at the London 2012 Games.
11. PV Sindhu – First Indian woman to win two Olympic medals
PV Sindhu became the first Indian woman to claim two Olympic medals after she won a badminton bronze medal in Tokyo, adding to her silver from Rio 2016.
12. Mother Teresa – The first Indian woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize
Mother Teresa was the first Indian woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. She got the Nobel prize for her charity work and for helping the destitute return to life. She left her teaching job at a Roman Catholic girls’ school in Calcutta to help the poorest of the poor in the slums of that Calcutta city
13. Mary Kom – First Indian woman to win 6 World boxing championships.
On 24 November 2018, she became the first woman to win 6 World Championships, achieving this feat at the 10th AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships held in New Delhi, India.
14. Pratibha Patil – First woman to become the president of India.
Patil won the election held on 19 July 2007. She garnered nearly two-thirds of the votes and took oath on 25 July 2007, as India’s 12th president but 1st woman President.
15. Anurima Sinha – World’s first female amputee to scale Mount Everest.
She climbed Mount Everest with a prosthetic leg, which was arranged by raising funds with the help of a swami of Ramakrishna Mission, Vadodara. She contacted Bachendri Pal, the first Indian woman to climb Mount Everest, in 2011.