Nethallu fish fry is a crispy and spicy recipe in which the anchovies are marinated with spices and then shallow fried. This recipe is quite popular in Kerala and is quite simple to make. Anchovies (Nethallu) are common saltwater fish, which are native to the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, Large fishes contain high amounts of mercury, which can be bad for you, smaller fishes like Anchovies contain less mercury as they cannot retain it. Apart from this, Anchovies are loaded with nutrients and offer several health benefits. In this article, we will see how you can make this delicious appetizer at home.
- Anchovies (Nethallu) 250 grams
- Rice Flour 2 tsp
- Gram Flour 2 tsp
- Salt (As per taste)
- Coriander Powder 1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder ½ tsp
- Pepper Powder ½ tsp
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients – Rice Flour, Gram Flour, Coriander Powder, Salt, Red Chili Powder, Ginger Garlic Paste, Turmeric Powder and Pepper Powder and make it into a paste, add just enough water to grind all the ingredients.
- Now add the Anchovies to the bowl and let them marinate for 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a pan and add the marinated fish to the pan.
- Deep Fry the fish over a medium-high flame until they turn golden brown
- Your delicious Nethallu fry is now ready, serve it with fried curry leaves.