Food. It is the most honest love of every person. It is something we can talk about for hours and not get tired. It is something we love to give to anyone. Indian cuisine is one of the most special ones. The taste, the ingredients, the procedures are all so amazing and thoughtful. But how much do we know about its history?
Here are some fun facts about Indian food and cuisine.
1. No country in this world produces as many spices as India does. Thus, our food has many varieties and delicacies.
2. The Indian food of today can be traced back 5,000 years to the Harappan civilization, where vegetables were an integral portion of their meals.
3. Potato, tomato and chilli are some of the most commonly used ingredients. They are of Portuguese origin.
4. Chicken Tikka Masala is the heart of every non-veg lover. Idi not from mana culture. It was invented in Glasgow, Scotland.
5. Sweet, Salty, Bitter, Spicy, Sour, Astringent. A proper Indian meal is a perfect balance of all 6 flavors, with one or two flavors standing out.
6. The Nawab of Awadh was facing a shortage of food in his region so he ordered a meal to be cooked for all the poor in huge handis, covered with a lid and sealed with dough. This would help cook a lot of food with minimum resources. This was how the ‘Dum’ Biryani was invented.
7. Indian food is classified into 3 types.
a. Sattvic food leads you to higher states of consciousness.
b. Rajasic food is the foundation of activity and motion.
c. Taamsic food brings out negative feelings
8. Jilebi is the classic sweet and its combination with any other sweet is also an add on to our palettes. But it was first originated in the Middle East.
9. India is home to Bhut Jolokia, one of the hottest chillies in the world. Also called “ghost chilli”, it is grown in North East states and is more than 400 times hotter than Tabasco sauce.
10. Rajma originally belongs to Mexico and is a staple there.
11. Saffron was brought to the country by Greek, Arab and Roman Traders.
12. Samosas are originally from Middle-East. It is alright. Do not be offended.