Dana Veera Sura Karna is not special only in Tollywood. We can say it is special in India itself because of the following reasons and the records it created.
1) NTR requested ANR to act either as Krishna or Arjuna in Daana Veera Sura Karna. ANR realized from his previous experiences that he will not be a match to NTR when it comes to portraying mythological roles and politely refused it.
2) NTR, Balakrishna and Harikrishna acted together in only 2 movies. First one is “Thatamma kalaa” and second and last one is “Daana Veera Sura Karna”
3) The dialogues for this movie were written by a principal of Sanskrit college in Ponnur of Guntur District “Kodaveeti Venkata Kavi” Though he has written other literary works before this movie. Unfortunately, he was not recognized for his earlier literary works. NTR pleaded him and made him write dialogues for this movie and no need to say the kind of sensation the dialogues written by him has created
4) Duryodhana character in the movie also has an equally good role and many
reviewers during that time commented that they should have named the movie as “Athratha maharana Suyodana[అథిరథ మహారథ దుర్యొధన ]” rather than as Daana Veera Soora Karna. NTR has immense respect for Duryodhana and insisted that the film shooting unit members should call Duryodana as “Suyodhana” only which is his original name.
The cine journalists believe that NTR is inspired by SVR to portray the role of Duryodana. He always admired the Duryodana role played by SV Rangarao garu and want to bring that magesty in his portrayal as well. Since in Sir Krishna Pandaveeyam he failed to get a lot of admiration NTR took the role in DVS Karna as a challenge and succeeded in getting the accolades of spectators. His portrayal of Suyodhana and the dialogues he delivered in that character are still remembered and memorized by telugu audience
5) This is the 2nd movie in which NTR acted as Duryodhana. The 1st one is Sri Krishna Pandaveeyam which was released in 1965. This is the second movie in which NTR acted as Karna as well. In the 1st movie, he acted as Karna in a small drama which is played in the movie
6) Sathyanarayana, Dhulipala, Gummadi are the 3 actors who acted both in DVS Karna and Sri Krishna Pandaveeyam; 2 movies where NTR acted as Duryodhana. Sree C Narayana Reddy penned the lyrics for both the movies.
7) The movie was shot in Ramakrishna cine studios and Annapoorna Studios. The Kurukshetra war scenes are directed near Kapra lake in Secunderabad. But the movie that is made as competition to this movie Kurukshetram shot the war scenes in Rajasthan while most of the shooting happened in Chennai
8) Jayeebhava Vijayeebhava song written by the great C Narayana Reddy is penned fully in Sanskrit language
9) Character Actor Chalapati Rao also acted in 3 roles in DVS Karna. It is quite rare for a character actor to act in 3 roles. In Paatala Bhairavi movie of K.V Reddy comedian Balakrishna [Anji. NTR’s brother role] also acted in 3 roles.
10) DVS Karna can be claimed to be one of the lengthiest films in Telugu film industry and even in the Indian film industry on the whole! Its running time is 4 hrs 17 minutes. Out of this, NTR can be seen on the screen for nearly four hours, which is also a record! (Though Raj Kapoor’s magnum opus Mera Naam Joker runs for 4 hrs 24 minutes, the film was later trimmed by forty minutes.)
11) This movie which became such a super hit and of such length was made in only 43 working days. It is a wonder to many film makers as per how did NTR make such a master piece in 43 days in spite of he acting for other movies in parallel . Triple role in this movie and a director as well
12) NTR is not only the actor of this movie but is also the director and screenplay writer and producer of the movie. This is the 1st mythological movie in which NTR acted in triple role though he acted in a triple role previously in a social movie by name ‘Kula Gouravam’
13) NTR made 3 movies in 1977 and all of them collected more than 1 crore. Daana Veera Sura karna, Adivi Ramudu and Yamagola
14) In 1994 when Daana Veera Sura Karna was released again it collected more than 1 crore rupees which was probably the 1st time in Indian cinema industry
15) The audio cassette of Dana Veera Sura Karna movie dialogues sold the highest number of copies in Telugu and is in top 3 in India