At last! HBO has released the very eagerly awaited Game of Thrones season 6 trailer. This is the real thing and gives fans their first real look at the ultra-mysterious sixth season which extends the Emmy-winning drama’s storyline almost entirely beyond George R.R. Martin’s novels for the first time.
Be Advised This Is A RED Band Trailer, hence viewer discretion is requested. The biggest headline in the footage? Images of Jon Snow (Kit Harington), very much dead after his brutal death in the season 5 finale. The shots seemingly back up what Harington declared earlier this week – that the actor returned to the show as a corpse. “He’s gone,” proclaims Ser Davos (Liam Cunningham).
– At King’s Landing, Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) assures Cersei (Lena Headey): “Everything they’ve taken from us they’re going to take back – and more.” Later there’s an apparent face-off with members of the Faith Militant, who warn Cersei that “her man” The Mountain had best step aside “or there will be violence.” Cersei: “I choose violence.”
– At Castle Black, Melisandre (Carice van Houten) shows uncharacteristic doubt and grief about her abilities after last season’s senseless child sacrifice: “The great victory I saw in the flames, all of it was a lie.”
– Bran Stark (Isaac Hempstead Wright) standing up (so it’s a vision, right?), and then seeing The Night’s King.
– Ser Jorah (Iain Glen) finding that ring that Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) dropped in the season 5 finale after she was captured by a Dothraki clan. We also see a shot of the Dothraki charging.
– A figure jumping off a roof. Could it be Arya (Maisie Williams)? We also have a glimpse of her blind and being struck.
– Armies in battle, including a quick cut to a flayed man on a crossbeam. (So, are the Boltons involved?)
– “You’re in the great game now,” says Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) to an unseen person. “And the great game is terrifying.”
The trailer was set to a cover of “Wicked Game,” performed by James Vincent McMorrow.