Theertham is a holy water that is offered in temples and after pujas. This holy water is considered extremely important in the hindu mythology. This water is considered magical and also has high medicinal properties. The water is generally used to bath the deities. Later that is received as Prasad that is a remedy for all types of sins and Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha are protected. Ancients states that theertham should not drop while giving or taking on the earth. If single drop theertham was dropped on earth it was considered as great sin for both giver and taker of theertham. Sipping water for 3 times is to clean the body cleaning, cleaning soul and for salvation. People also used to believe by drinking the holy water they can fight against diseases.
Mantra that is chanted while distribution/consumption of teertham is:
“Akala mrutyu haranam, sarva vyadhi nivaranam
samastha papa kshaya karam, Sri Lakshmi Narayana padodakam pavanam subham.”
which means, The power of the teertham is to free you from untimely death, all forms of disease and from all sins.
Theertham is usually prepared in a vessel which is made of Copper or Silver or Brass.
• Temples related to Lord Vishnu, Tulasi Theertham (Water mixed with Holy Basil Leaves) will be given to devotees.
• Temples related to Lord Shankar, Maredu Theertham (Water mixed with bael Tree Leaves) be given to devotees.
• Temples related to other deities, water mixed with Cardamom, Cloves, edible camphor will be given as Theertham to devotees.
• Most temples prepare the Panchamrut (a mixture of Milk, Yoghurt, Honey, Sugar candy and Ghee in equal amounts)
• The holy basil leaves used in theertham act as a tonic which fights against fever, cold, cough, sore throat, respiratory disorders, kidney stones, heart disorders, stress, mouth infections, insect bites, headaches, skin and tooth disorders. It also acts as nerve tonic to sharpen the memory.
• The Beal Leaves in theertham can cure many health problems such as Stomach ulcers, controls diabetes and cholesterol levels, acts as anti microbial and anti inflammatory, relives constipation, and relives diarrhea and dysentery.
• The holy water mixed with Cardamom, Cloves, edible camphor helps in digestion, detoxifies the body, controls cold, flu, cancer and blood pressure, acts as anti inflammatory ,relives tooth pains & respiratory infections, Enhance immunity, cures nervous disorders, fights against epilepsy.
• Panchamrut mixture nourishes the body, boosts physical stamina, intelligence, grasping power, creative abilities, improves skin color.