The South Asian Games, a multi-sport event, is the regional games of the Olympic Council of Asia. Since it was first hosted at Kathmandu, Nepal in the year 1984, except for few occasions the event is taking place every alternate year. This mega multi-national sports event is held among the athletes of the South Asian countries in various locations across the region. The event is presently joined by the eight South Asian countries namely Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
The event is unique in itself as it promotes sports with a view to boost up the team spirit as well as an amiable relationship between the South Asian countries. India’s regional supremacy went unchallenged as the hosts were crowned overall champions for the 12th consecutive time after notching up a record-breaking haul of 308 medals, dominating the final day of competitions as well in the South Asian Games in Shillong on Tuesday.
With women boxers scooping all the three gold medals on offer and the judokas also bagging two gold and two silver on the last day of the Games, India’s final tally came to 188 gold, 99 silver and 30 bronze medals.
It was a massive jump in medal count for the Indians, who had won 175 medals in the previous edition of the Games in 2010 and crossed this year. Check out some of our Indians who struck gold in some top sports
1. Kabaddi men and women (Gold)
2. Marykom (Boxing Gold)
3. Indian women’s football team (Gold)
4. Ruthvika Shivaniand PV Sindhu (Badminton Gold, Silver)
5. Gutta Jwala and Ashwini Ponnapa (Badminton Doubles Gold)
6. Singh Chain and Gagan Naarang (50mm Riffle Shooting Gold)
7. Maana Patel, Chahat Arora, Damini Gowda (Swimming Medley 400mt Gold)
8. Joshana Chinnapa (Squash Women Gold)
9. Sushila (Weight Lifting Women 75kg Gold)
10. Nikki, Rajani, Shilpi Sheren and Team (Wrestling in All Categories Women Gold)
11. Indian Women’s Hockey Team (Gold)
12. Atheletics – Gold